Male cooks, Victor Hounkpe and David Amusu, who are nationals of the Benin Republic, were arrested for allegedly poisoning a vegetable soup prepared for their employers, Mr. Nwogu and Omowunmi Chinaka, and other domestic staff in the Lekki area of Lagos. Their employers were reportedly taken to a hospital outside the country after eating the poisoned meal. All domestic staff who ate the meal were said to have become unconscious and are currently in the hospital.
It was learnt that on Wednesday, April 22, at about 5pm, Hounkpe, who had stayed for about a month in the house, prepared a vegetable soup for the family. All members of the family, including the security personnel in the compound ate the soup which was served by the cook for dinner.
Minutes later, the husband, Nwogu, reportedly developed a severe stomach ache and collapsed, while Omowunmi rushed him to a nearby hospital.
The wife, however, also became unconscious and fell at the gate of the hospital after she allegedly had a severe stomach pain. The couple was treated in the same hospital.
Two security guards in the compound were brought to the hospital later in the day.
It was gathered that Hounkpe and Amusu reportedly fled from the house during the incident.
The police said the couple later wrote a petition to the Commissioner of Police, Kayode Aderanti, on the matter, and after investigation by the Department of Criminal Investigation, Yaba, the runaway cooks were arrested.
Speaking with PUNCH Metro, 34-year-old Hounkpe said he put the substance in the family’s soup to make everybody fall asleep so that valuables in the house could be easily carted away.
“I am from the Benin Republic. I came to Nigeria in 2007. I have always worked as a cook in Lagos. David was the agent who brought me to the couples’ house. He was the one who gave me the substance to put inside the soup. He told me the substance was a sleeping pill. The plan was that everyone would fall asleep. They wanted to steal gold and other valuables. I put the substance inside the vegetable soup. It was a powdery substance. I had worked with them for about a month. The couple did not offend us. They were to pay me N50,000 monthly. We just wanted them to sleep off. I ran to the Ogudu area after the incident to pick up another job. That was where I was arrested.”
Amusu, 33, added that the gang was about raiding the couples’ apartment when the duo became unconscious and was rushed to a hospital.
He said, “I was a former cook in the house. I was the one who brought Victor (Hounkpe). On the fateful day, when Victor finished cooking the soup, he called me to say the job had been done. But then, we learnt that the couple was rushed to a hospital after falling unconscious. So, we fled the area.”
The police added that the plan was to use Hounkpe as an insider to give free access to the robbery gang. Amusu was to lead the gang members into the compound. They added that the plan was foiled.
The CP, Aderanti, who paraded the suspects, advised residents of Lagos to always do background checks on people employed into their homes and places of work.
He said, “They have both confessed to the crime. The couple has been flown abroad for treatment. I want the public to always be careful about the people they bring into their homes…”
Tags: Victor Hounkpe and David Amusu
Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth, has died at…
The United Arab Emirates has listed conditions for the resumption…
The United Kingdom has issued a guidance that allows Passport…
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has approved a new remote…
The United Kingdom Government has made a new announcement in…
Two trailers have been released ahead of Prince Harry and…
The World Health Organisation has launched a Mobile Dementia Handbook…
A California nurse has tested positive for COVID-19 just eight…
The World Health Organization (WHO) has confirmed that a “super…
God have mercy! Hmmm thank God they dint die oooooo
Message..hmmm may God save his people, we should be mindful of type of people we do employ in our homes and offices.
Faces of evil, overdose of any type of drug is harmful , they must be made to face the full wrath of the law.
A lot of evil things happening in our society lately.
Jesus Christ! I am happy they were caught and arrested. Stupid men.
Message..Hey na wa o. May God heal them all. To employ a domestic staff is now a problem.
One has to be extremely careful… thank God for sparing their Lives.
Na wa o.The happenings these days puts one on ones toes when it comes 2 domestic staff
Faces of criminals……. they ll dance to the music at krikri
Nawaoo these people ar wicked oo
Message.. Honestly I dnt blame sm family dat dnt nid house help whteva. I rada stress myself n train my kids wt my hubby dan bringing helps dat u dnt kw deir heart.
With all dis bad news here and der, i doubt if i can ever hav any domestic worker.. Na robot i go buy.lol
God save ur pple
Trust No One. We’re Living In The Last And Evil Days
Jezzzzzzzz. No no no house help for me ohhhh.
Hmmm, wicked world!
Thank God they were caught and arrested
When will all these evil house help stop sef
Lord have mercy
Nawa o..thank God they have been caught
Na wa ooo
Same as the 3 kidnapped boys earlier ds yr. Always do a thorough background check before employing helps in ur home
Thanks to God their employers survived.
C their unrepentant evil faces.
Can one ever be too careful. Its just the mercies of God that keeps us. Hmmm it is well
Your email address will not be published.