Indian Surgeons have removed a 5-foot long hairball from the stomach of a teen girl, Kavita Kumari, 15, who was so ill she could barely swallow water.
The girl who is addicted to swallowing hair had been eating it for the past year. Her addiction was so severe that she would not just eat her own hair, but strands she found lying around. It was claimed she would even pluck the hair of her classmates at school and eat it.
The addiction also meant she had lost interest in eating food and would vomit each time she was force-fed, while complaining of severe abdominal pain and weakness.
Worried and mystified when their daughter’s stomach began protruding, Kavita’s parents took her to several doctors, and each time, she was sent away with medicines to help the pain and swelling.
But when her condition deteriorated, her father Bechan Ram, 34, a farmer, took her to hospital. After examining her, doctors at the Siddharth Multi Speciality Hospital and Research Centre in Uttar Pradesh, found a large, firm mass in her abdomen.
A CT scan further revealed Kavita had five-feet long hairball in her stomach. It also showed a large lesion in her stomach and small bowel.
Doctors discovered she had Rapunzel Syndrome, a rare condition in which a hairball is found in the stomach and mostly affects young women.
Dr Lal Bahadur Sidharth, a gastro and laproscopic surgeon at the hospital, said: ‘Kavita had come to us with complaints of extreme pain in the stomach. She was in a very serious condition, malnourished and very weak. She was barely able to stand on her own. We performed an endoscopy on her which revealed she had hairball inside her stomach.’
The team went on to diagnose Kavita with trichotillomania – the psychological condition in which a person has an urge to pull hair – and warned her parents her condition was so bad she might not survive surgery.
Despite knowing the hairball was there, doctors were astonished to discover during the two hour operation that it was more than five feet long.
‘I didn’t expect the hairball to be this big,’ said Dr Bahadur Sidharth. ‘I had never seen such a case before.’
Kavita is now recovering at the hospital and should soon be able to eat again.
However since Rapunzel Syndrome is a psychological disorder, she will also receive counselling.
Her mother Phool Devi, 32, said, ‘We did not know she was in the habit of eating hair. Though I noticed many times that she plucked couple of strands from my hair and even her classmates told me she did the same with them. But I never took it seriously as I thought she was plucking their hair to tease them. I had no idea she was apparently eating hair. We noticed she had not been eating properly – and whatever she ate, she would just throw it up. She would also complain of severe abdominal pain and was even unable to digest water. She was getting weaker with each passing day. We had taken her to several local doctors but none could find out the real problem. I am so thankful to the doctors for saving her life.’
Tags: 5-foot long hairball removed from teen's stomach, Kavita Kumari
The World Health Organization (WHO) has debunked a myth about…
After their exit from the United Kingdom for Canada, Meghan…
A heavily pregnant 39 year old mum, Karen Mannering, has…
UK prime minister, Boris Johnson has confirmed he has tested…
Queen Elizabeth’s first son and immediate heir to the British…
A 21-year-old girl identified as Chloe Middleton from High Wycombe,…
The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that the Coronavirus…
China’s health leadership have announced they have found the Japanese-developed…
The UK government will shut all schools in England as…
Omg dis is scary….wat an addiction? Dis indian pple sef…..Tank God for safe operation, wish her quick recovery.
This is very scary. Wish her a speedy recovery.
Jesus! This is scary.
Message..speedy recovery dear
Odikwa egwu… hair eater
Reminds me of d house help we had when l was small.She used 2 pluck n eat her hair.My parents had 2 return her bcos they thought it was spiritual.Wierd habit
Chineke!! Dis is scary my God
Omg,,,she is not normal joor it’s a spiritual problem.
I pray she doesn’t go back to it after recovery.
Dis is wired! Thnk God she made it thru de surgery
The blood of jesus she needs deliverance
So scary. Eating hair kwa…Thank God she survived it and hopefully she stops eating hair
My God of me!!!
Very weird but thank God she is fine
The pix is so gross,thank God she’s recuperating
hmmmm. bizarre.hair ke.hmmlnn.n d doct dint save her life God did .so she should tnk God if she knows him.
Thank God she survived and hope she gets help soon
Weird and disgusting! How can some1 be addicted to eating hair? God abeg.
Your email address will not be published.