Motherhood In-Style Magazine

Family. Parenting. Building Homes.

Liberian Couple Suffocates to Death From Generator Fumes

A couple of days ago, the story about the tragic death of a Liberian couple, Shelly and Lawrence from Minnesota, USA, surfaced online. Old reports suggest that the couple suffered from food poisoning by the husbands brother because he couldn’t account for the money they have been sending to him to build a house back at home in Monrovia, Liberia.

However, new developments have revealed the actual cause of their tragic death. Speaking on the issue,  Nigerian Anatomical Pathologist, Christopher Chinedu Obiorah explained that he discovered that the couple’s remains had swollen brains which is consistent with carbon monoxide inhalation.

Corroborating the preliminary autopsy report, FrontPage Africa has authoritatively gathered from family and investigative sources that the death of the couple whose remains were found on December 25, 2016, was as a result of asphyxiation, secondary to carbon monoxide.

FrontPage Africa also gathered from Police sources that a 1.5 KVA Ruina gasoline generator was placed in the garage of house to provide electricity for an air condition that was being installed in the guest room of the house where the couple stayed.

”According to our Police source, the garage in which the generator was placed did not have an opening for the smoke to exit; as a result the smoke circulated in the house.

The poisonous gas was concentrated in the deceased room which faced directly across the hallway where the inner door to the garage is located.

The house’s windows too are air tight so ventilation was very poor in the house. You see, the thing about carbon monoxide is that it is odorless, tasteless and colorless.

It is very difficult to detect and it’s very dangerous. The sad thing was that there was no exhaust pipe connected to the generator for the smoke to exit the building.”

Also writing on Gofundme, their son, said:

“On December 23rd, Lawrence and Shelly Gross Left Minneasota for Liberia to go celebrate their wedding anniversary, which fell on December 25th.

Unfortunately instead of this day being a day of celebration it became a day of tragedy. It was announced on Xmas Day they were found dead in their room from the suffocation of generator smoke.”

Meanwhile, the Inspector General of Police, Gregory Coleman, has mediated a peace talk between Shelly and Lawrence’s families.
Police Spokesman, Sam Collins said in a meeting held on Monday, January 2, that both families met with the IGP at the Police Headquarters on Capitol Hill to settle contentions between the two families.
Shelly’s family delegation as led by Martin Kerkula, who is also the deputy director of the Center for National Documents and Records Agency (CNDRA)  was present, while Lawrence’s family was represented by Sano Wayne, a former deputy minister at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
According to Collins, a 10-man delegation was formed with five members each from both families to sort out differences with the other.
“Both families have been trading accusations but the IG has advised them to go back, hold a meeting among themselves and make peace with each other,” Collins said.
According to him, the families have been indecisive about whether to bury the couple in Liberia or have them flown to the United States where their children are.
Photo credit: FrontPage Africa
6 Discussions on
“Liberian Couple Suffocates to Death From Generator Fumes”

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published.