So Sad! Two University of Lagos Students Die in Hotel Fire (See Photos)

Two students of the University of Lagos, UNILAG, identified as Roli Odogwu and Linda Elegeonye have died in a midnight fire at a Lagos hotel.

The two ladies, Odogwu, a 200-Level Mass Communication student and Elegeonye, a 300-Level Law student, died of burns, days after they were trapped in the hotel room where they were guests.

According to The Nation, the girls left the campus on Monday to attend an evening outing off-campus. When it dawned on them that they could not return to the campus late in the night, they reportedly lodged in the hotel to pass the night.

READ ALSO: 17 UNILAG Girls Missing After Attending a Party in Lekki With N80,000 ‘Thank You’ Offer

It was also gathered that Roli’s friend, who did not want to be named, said she spoke to her mother to inform her of her decision to pass the night in the hotel.It was also revealed that the victims were asleep when the inferno started from a faulty air conditioner. The victims were trapped for several minutes before they were rescued from the room. They sustained first-degree burns and were rushed to Gbagada General Hospital.

READ ALSO: University Of Lagos Expels 125 Students, Rusticates 198

Last Saturday, Roli passed away around 4 am and was buried at Atan Cemetery in Yaba. On Sunday, news broke that Linda, who had been in coma for six days, had also died.

A friend, who pleaded anonymity, said she was informed about the incident by a policeman who picked up the late Roli’s call on Tuesday.

READ ALSO: How University Lecturer Raped 18-Year-Old Seeking Admission In Lagos

”The policeman told me that the owner of the phone (Roli) and her friend were involved in a fire accident and they were unconscious. I was told they had been moved to Trauma and Burns Unit of the Gbagada General Hospital. I informed other friends and we went to the hospital.

When we got there, we were not allowed to see them immediately. Three hours after, we were allowed in with their parents and other family members.

READ ALSO: Goal Getter! Ladies who Graduate from UNILAG with First Class Reveal Success Secret

Roli was conscious and responding to treatment, but Linda was still in a coma. The burns were severe and we hoped both could make it. We are deeply hurt by their death.”

Until their death, the two students were residents of Fagunwa Hall.

See photos from Roli’s candle lighting funeral below….

Photo credit: CAMPUS LIFE

3 Discussions on
“So Sad! Two University of Lagos Students Die in Hotel Fire (See Photos)”

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published.