Heartburn is a burning sensation that often extends from the bottom of the breastbone to the lower part of the throat or chest and is caused by some of the hormonal and physical changes that comes with pregnancy. One of the most obvious is the heightened level of hormones which relaxes the valve that separates the oesophagus from the stomach.
Here are a few simple tips on how to prevent or minimize heartburn:
1. Instead of eating three large meals, eat six to seven small sized portions in a day, taking your time to chew thoroughly. This will help reduce pressure on your stomach and help to lighten the digestion process.
2. Avoid foods and drinks that can provoke heartburn and cause gastrointestinal discomfort. These include, certain teas, coffee, chocolate, alcohol or acidic foods like citrus fruits, fatty and fried foods.
SEE ALSO:Everything You Need To Know About Morning Sickness
3. Much as you are required to drink at least eight glasses of water daily, avoid drinking large quantities of fluids during meals as you don’t want to have your tummy bloated, contributing to heartburn.
4. Ginger and celery help to reduce heartburn symptoms, therefore, eating plenty of these will do you good.
5. Mixing some honey with your milk can also ease the burn and discomfort of heartburn.
6. You can also try chewing gum after meal as this may help to neutralize stomach acids and reduce heartburn.
7. Avoid foods that are spicy or overly fatty, like cheese and pumpkin as this can contribute to heartburn in pregnancy.
8. Eat at least one hour before bedtime, so that food can digest before you lie down.
SEE ALSO:English Singer Paloma Faith Speaks on the Terrifying Side of Pregnancy & Childbirth
9. Clothes that are tight or pinched at the waist must be avoided as they also contribute to heartburn; instead, go for loose comfortable clothing.
10. Always bend at the knees instead of the waist.
11. Lastly, some over-the-counter antacids which are considered safe during pregnancy can be helpful, but, it is advised that you consult your healthcare provider first for confirmation because some brands may be high in sodium or may contain aluminum or aspirin.
Tags: Heartburn, Pregnancy
Discovering you are pregnant again can be really exciting, and…
US model, Amber Rose is facing some serious backlash after…
According to recent findings by the Nigeria AIDS Indicator and…
The statistics for Nigerian women who die annually from unsafe…
New research has revealed serious consequences of young people taking…
Pregnancy is a physiological condition that its concurrence with fasting…
An overwhelming number of victims of domestic abuse are female.…
If you want a smart child, a recent study has…
American singer and songwriter, Alecia Beth Moore, 39, known professionally…
Thanks admin for sharing.
Your email address will not be published.