Normally, the tongue is loosely attached to the base of the mouth with a piece of skin called the lingual frenulum. In babies with tongue-tie, this piece of skin is unusually short and tight, restricting the tongue’s movement. This prevents the baby from feeding properly and also causes problems for the mother.
READ ALSO:7 ‘Normal’ Symptoms That May Require Taking Your Child to the Doctor Promptly
See typical signs to watch out for:
1. Problems Latching On To Breasts and Sucking. Babies with tongue-tie aren’t able to open their mouths wide enough to latch on to their mother’s breast properly. (Bottle-fed babies usually don’t have feeding problems, because it is easy to get milk from the nipple of a bottle.)
2. Injured Nipples: Since babies with tongue-tie aren’t able to open their mouths wide enough to latch on to their mother’s breast properly, they tend to slide off the breast and chomp on the nipple with their gums. This is very painful and the mother’s nipples can become sore, with ulcers and bleeding.
3. Low Weight Gain: Some babies feed poorly and get tired, but they soon become hungry and want to feed again. In most cases, these feeding difficulties mean the baby fails to gain much weight.
READ ALSO:6 Things That Can Cause a Child’s Speech Delay
4. Speech problems: This is because the tip of the tongue cannot rise high enough to make some sounds, such as t, d, z, s, th, n, and l, clearly.
5. Personal or social problems related to the restricted tongue movement, such as problems cleaning food off the teeth with the tongue.
Tags: Tongue-tie in Babies
A Georgia couple in the US has been charged for…
Ogbugoh Terundu Joy Esq A baby’s cry signifies a call…
By Ndidi Adekunle All experienced mothers have learnt that the…
Chiomah Momah ‘As smooth as a baby’s bottom’ is a…
Ireyimika Oyegbami For many mothers it is NOT funny when…
In reality, motherhood is an embodiment of selflessness and Baltic…
By Grace Fagbohun Quite a number of mums have sent…
Ireyimika Oyegbami Brain damage is said to occur when an…
Ineh Olisah Often times, you’re so concerned about your baby’s…
Thanks MIM for this information.
I really needed this post
Thanks MIM for sharing this information. A
Thanks for sharing
Yes I checked my babies own after I gave birth to him. Tnkx
Have checked my babies own Bt he didn’t have it.
Tnkx MIM for sharing
Thanks for the information
Nice one MIM. Thanks for this MIM
You are on point MIM.
Didn’t know it could be this bad …
Your email address will not be published.