Unbelievable Story of How Complications Arising From the Use of IUD Left Decaying Mom Fighting for Her Life

A Baltimore, Maryland based mom who was left to fight for her life due to complications from an IUD is telling her story with the hope of helping anyone who might find this story useful.

Three years ago, an intrauterine device (IUD) birth control was inserted in Tanai Smith, six weeks after delivering her baby.

During her annual check up in October last year, Tanai was told that the birth control could not be found.

In November, she said she was at work when she had a sharp pain at the bottom right of her stomach. She went to the hospital and an x-ray revealed that the birth control she had been inside her had been broken into pieces and shifted far up her stomach, into her liver.

The complications has caused Tanai’s hands and feet to decay. She will have to have her toes amputated next week to keep it from spreading.

Read the full post below as recounted by Tanai:


”Sometimes things happens in your life and you don’t know why. You question yourself why me or what did i do to deserve this? But what you should be asking is what can i learn from it. I’m finally coming out to tell my story because i feel like i can help someone.

I’m not here for people opinions but to simply tell my story. Six weeks after I had my daughter I was offered by the doctors a form of birth control called the IUD. I accepted because I was told that it was safe and it was he best type. It had never gave me any problems up until November of 2017.

I had it for 3 years so far. I was told that it is good for 5 years. I went to my yearly check up in October and I was asked about birth control and I told that i had an IUD. They checked and told me that they couldn’t find an IUD and that it may have fell out but I knew for a fact that wasn’t the case.

READ ALSO: 6 Factors To Consider Before Choosing A Birth Control Method

They sent me to get two types of ultrasounds the same day and i was told once again that they didn’t see an IUD. One day in the beginning of November I was at work I had a sharp pain and the bottom right of my stomach and the first thing that popped in my head was is this that IUD? But I tried to brush it off but the pain was getting worse.

I left work 3 hours early to go to the hospital. I went to the hospital and i told them what was going on and what the doctors was telling me so they immediately sent me to get an X-ray done.

The doctor came in the with a weird look on her face and said the IUD is definitely in there but its pushed up in your stomach so you will have to get surgery. She told me to call my OBGYN to schedule a date.

I went and talked to my OBGYN, told him everything that was going on and even showed him the Xray picture that they allowed me to take. So he also said i have to get surgery. So i asked him how would they have to get it out and he told me they would cut me right under my belly button and use a scope.

On December 13th I went in to get the procedure done. Instead of 1 , I was cut 3 times. One under my belly button and one on each of my side. They was able to get it out but it was broken into pieces. I was told that it had moved up to my liver.

READ ALSO: Birth Control Methods: Mums Share On What Worked And What Didn’t Work For Them

When I left the hospital I was bleeding but my mom was told that it was normal. Over night I begin to bleed heavier and the pain got worse. I was rushed to the hospital by ambulance and once I got to the hospital my mom told the doctors everything that was going on. They rushed me to X-rays done and then rushed me to surgery.

I was bleeding internally. After the surgery my mom was told that when they open me up, my ovaries was black and that they had to give me a hysterectomy. After the surgery I went into septic shock causing me to be in ICU for a few weeks.

I died on that surgery table. While in ICU my organ began to fail. I was on a breathing machine, I was on dialysis cause my kidneys wasn’t working right. Everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong.

My parents was told that i was the worst patient on the floor and that they didn’t think I was going to make it. But with faith and God the prayers that everyone sent out, I am here today. Next week I have to get myself prepare again for a second surgery to get my toes amputated by I swear I came so far and am not letting anything stop me.”

READ ALSO: Controversy As Nigeria’s Northern Lawmakers Kick Against Birth Control, Claim It’s Anti-Islam


Her story has generated over 28,000 comments on Facebook and was shared more than 40,000 times.

While others expressed their gratitude that she was alive, others shared their personal stories with IUDs. Some advised that she seeks legal help.

According to sources, IUDs have always had side effects including

irregular menstrual periods,

changes in bleeding patterns or flow;

breakthrough bleeding, or heavier menstrual bleeding during the first few weeks after device insertion;

back pain;



mild dizziness; nausea, vomiting, bloating; breast tenderness or pain; among others.

If you opt for the IUD birth control device, you have to always see a doctor and be sure it is well placed to avoid any complications.

Below are some comments in response to Tanai’s story…

1 Discussion on “Unbelievable Story of How Complications Arising From the Use of IUD Left Decaying Mom Fighting for Her Life”

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published.