Now Reading
Mom-Of-3, Nicole Goddard Mom Warns Frantically After Her Toddler Almost Died From Popcorn, Tells Why It Isn’t Ideal For Kids Under 5| Photos

Mom-Of-3, Nicole Goddard Mom Warns Frantically After Her Toddler Almost Died From Popcorn, Tells Why It Isn’t Ideal For Kids Under 5| Photos

Parenting requires superpower skills and no sign must be ignored, especially in toddlers. Parents must be able to see and promptly attend to any signs of danger they see or feel in their toddlers without delay. With toddlers, it is better to be too careful than to be too carefree.

Now, that you have raised children who have gone past toddler age, does not make you a full authority as it were. You must understand that each child comes with his/her own uniqueness and as such, be up to your game as a parent at all times. Truly, it ain’t easy but it is possible.

A mom-of-3, Nicole Johnson Goddard has taken to Facebook to relay a scary incident with her toddler son, Nash and it is worth noting by every parents.

READ ALSO: 5 Ways To Prevent Constipation in Toddlers

Nicole told of how a family snack time of popcorn landed her toddler in surgery. They were all watching a movie and eating popcorn which is a very frequent event on the weekend in their home. She didn’t see any harm in passing some popcorn to little Nash who choked afterwards and Nicole assumed he was fine.

When he choked, nothing came out of his mouth so Nicole assumed he has swallowed the popcorn not knowing it had gone the wrong way.  The next day he still seemed except he had a weird sounding cough until the worst happened.

Sharing photos to back up her story, Nicole wrote:

READ ALSO: Diarrhoea in Toddlers: Home Remedies & When to Call the Doctor

Image may contain: one or more people, people sleeping and baby

Image may contain: one or more people, people sleeping, people sitting and indoor

Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people sleeping and baby

See Also

Image may contain: 1 person

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting and indoor

“Now that I’ve had a chance to sit and reflect on a very unfortunate but eye opening event that our family encountered. I wanted to share our experience because as I’ve shared the story so many people were shocked and unaware of the bad effect popcorn can have on a toddler. Last Saturday night we were all watching a movie and eating popcorn which is a very frequent event on the weekend in our home. I didn’t think twice to give Nash popcorn. Nash had small choking episode but was fine. We didn’t see anything come out so we assumed he swallowed it. He seemed completely fine and continued to watch the movie. The only thing we observed was a cough he developed after the episode. The next day he was fine but still had a weird sounding cough which concerned me a little. I just assumed he was catching the same crud we had all been going through. Monday came, Jake left for a 3 day trip and it was pretty much the same as the day prior. As the evening came I noticed Nash felt warm and he was super fussy. He had a fever, so I gave him Motrin and put him to bed. A very long night with him and then his breathing looked a little labored to me and he just didn’t feel good. I called my pediatrician immediately and said Nash needs to be seen ASAP. We went in and got sent to children’s main campus immediately. After a chest X-ray the dr didn’t like what he saw so he got scheduled that evening for a Bronchoscopy. Thankful for the wonderful company we work for, they got Jake on a plane and back to Denver. At 6pm they put Nash under and performed the procedure. I paced and cried the entire time my little man was in surgery. Jake arrived at the hospital just in time to go to recovery and see nash. He had aspirated popcorn into his lungs when he choked. The body recognized it as a foreign object and put puss pockets around it. All the inflammation caused him to develop pneumonia in his left lung. During the procedure the dr got out 6 pieces. There was so much inflammation so the dr wasn’t ???? he got it all so scheduled him to be admitted and repeat the procedure in 2 days. It was a an up and down roller coaster but we were in the best care. The second procedure was done and once again poor guy had to be put under and rolled off to surgery. The dr met us when it was over and said procedure was successful and he got the last piece out. Nash was a rockstar and recovered well. He had to go one hour on room air oxygen with out his o2 dropping under 90. He passed and we were discharged that evening.
If I wouldn’t have trusted my instinct and brought him in, the outcome wouldn’t have been good.
We’re so thankful our little man came out ok. All of this over popcorn which is eaten on a regular basis in our home.
I got a lecture of course on how popcorn isn’t supposed to be given to anyone under 5. I hate to use the excuse he’s our third child so I overlook and don’t pay as close attention to the do’s and dont’s as we did with our first.
Please no negative judgment on this post, I wrote it as an eye opener for people to see how something that you think is fine can quickly turn into something bad! Always trust your gut because it’s right!! I want to thank all who stepped in to help, whether it was taking our girls for a night, or letting our dog out. The constant phone calls and texts to check on us meant a lot. We have a lot of special people in our life. “

READ ALSO: Warning: Foods That Can Negatively Affect Your Child’s Mood

Many Facebook users thanked heavens that Nash recovered while applauding Nicole for promptly getting medical attention for her toddler. Some of them who has been giving popcorn to their toddlers also promised to be careful going forward.

View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Copyright © 2021 Motherhood In-Style Magazine. All Rights Reserved.