Queen Elizabeth II is to enter an eight-day period of mourning following the death of her husband, Prince Philip on Friday at the age of 99.
The Duke of Edinburgh, who was married to the Queen for 73 years, was said to be the monarch’s rock during her 69-year reign.
The deceased spent his final days at Windsor Castle with his wife after a 28-night stay in hospital having been admitted in mid-February for an infection and a pre-existing heart condition.
According to sources, the queen will not carry out any duties even in private, laws will not be given the Royal Assent and affairs of state will also be paused.
Following these eight days, a further period of official Royal Mourning is expected to continue for 30 days. In a statement released by the Buckingham palace, the Prince Philip died peacefully on Friday, April 9.
According to the statement;
“It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle. Further announcements will made in due course. The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.”
Prince Philip was last seen in public on March 16 as he left the private King Edward VII hospital, where he had been recuperating following heart surgery at St Bartholomew’s Hospital, a leading cardiac unit.
According to reports, Prince Philip will be buried in Frogmore Gardens in the grounds of Windsor Castle where the Queen liked to walk her corgis. There will a 30-day period of official Royal Mourning before the Queen returns to public duties.
Prince Philips, according to Royal Editor, Omid Scobie will not have a state funeral and there will be no lying-in-state, in line with his last wishes.
Omid wrote on Twitter;
“In line with his wishes, Prince Philip will not receive a State Funeral and his body will not be Lying-in-State. Instead, the Duke will lie at Windsor Castle until his funeral in St George’s Chapel. Due to pandemic, public have been “regretfully requested” not to attend.”
As we now know that the funeral of Prince Philip may be like no other major royal event in modern history, it has been reported that members of the public will not be able to attend the event.
Coronavirus lockdown restrictions currently in force in the United Kingdom mean that officials are discouraging crowds from paying their respects.
Given his age, the detailed plans for what should happen after Philip’s death — codenamed “Operation Forth Bridge,” have been in place for years.
Philip will not have a state funeral and he will not lie in state, according to the College of Arms, a body that plays a role in royal funerals. State funerals are usually only granted to ruling sovereigns, but the decision also came at Philip’s request, it said.
His body will instead lie at rest in Windsor Castle ahead of the funeral in St George’s Chapel.
“The funeral arrangements have been revised in view of the prevailing circumstances arising from the COVID-19 pandemic,” the College of Arms said in a statement Friday.
“It is regretfully requested that members of the public do not attempt to attend or participate in any of the events that make up the funeral.”
It is unclear when the funeral will take place; the College of Arms said further details would be announced.
UPDATE: In line with his wishes, Prince Philip will not receive a State Funeral and his body will not be Lying-in-State. Instead, the Duke will lie at Windsor Castle until his funeral in St George's Chapel. Due to pandemic, public have been “regretfully requested” not to attend. pic.twitter.com/gq2Ah1B2mz
— Omid Scobie (@scobie) April 9, 2021