An Australian mum, Sarah Pugh, has told how her newborn baby died few days after they brought her home from a virus infection transmitted through a kiss.
According to 7News, a week after taking the newborn, Eloise, home, her mother noticed feeding problems and rushed her to the hospital where doctors confirmed she had contracted herpes simplex, the virus that causes cold sores. She developed a staph infection as a result of the virus and passed away in her mother’s arms days later.
Doctors believe the herpes virus was passed on by a visitor with a cold sore who gave the young child a kiss.
“We were pretty…I was pretty shocked that a cold sore had done this,” said Sarah Pugh.
Sarah says the community has been extremely supportive and she wants other people to be aware of what could happen.
“I possibly couldn’t let another family go through the heartache that we went through,” said Sarah.
Doctors say while it’s not uncommon for babies to develop a herpes infection, it’s rare that a baby will die.
“This is one of those many occasions where prevention really is the only cure,” said Obstetrician Dr Gino Pecoraro.
Dr Pecoraro says anyone with a cold sore should cover it with a band aid and refrain from kissing babies and young children.
It’s an unimaginable heartache for this family, but for now Sarah says she can’t dwell on the terrible outcome.
‘Just my other three kids. I can’t really… I’ve just got to stay strong for them,” said Sarah.
Sarah advices other parents by adding, “Be really careful and just make sure people don’t kiss them or touch them, and yeah just make sure you wash your hands continuously.”
Tags: Newborn Baby Dies From A Kiss
As the world continues to battle the Coronavirus COVID-19 scourge,…
Many African, European, and Asian countries as well as the…
The UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has revealed his eyesight…
A mysterious disease linked to the deadly coronavirus has been…
Scientists from the John Hopkins University School of Medicine have…
Coronavirus could be found in semen and spread by sex,…
Hilary Sledge-Sarnor like many didn’t know much about the coronavirus…
A 74 year old New York City surgeon, Dr. Manuel…
An experimental drug has proved effective against the deadly Coronavirus…
Hmmm, very necessary! No kissing or touching neonates anyhow.
Awwww sorry about your loss Sarah. May the gentle soul of your baby rest. One needs to be very careful especially dealing with new borns, babies and toddlers.
Any parents afraid to tell people not do the aforementioned, should equally be ready for the consequences that follows (God forbid). Especially hear in Africa that we please people to displease ourselves.
Sorry for your loss Sarah!
So sorry, back then our neighbor that gave birth advice us not to touch or carry her new born baby until we wash our hands, we thought they are preventing us from carrying their baby…..So true
Here u would be given a derogatory name for not allowing people carry ur new born.Sorry for ur loss
Hmmm this is sad. No wonder in teaching hospitals they even forbid parents to touch the child while still there. Why must you kiss the child self? Na wah ooooo. Sorry for the loss
Lord have mercy
Sad. May God console her and family.
Message.. So sad may God be with her
Well kissing Neonates is not our thing here. This is insane.
Very sorry may God comfort her.
that is y i dont like people touching new borns till they have been completely immunized. Mothers have to be careful
Ewooo so sorry Maam I guessed I ve leant ur lesson thou in a painful way rip little one
Thank to this mum for d awareness
Ehyaa..RIP to the lil’ one
Your email address will not be published.