‘I Didn’t Know This Was Possible!’ – Mum Recounts How Newborn Baby Died From Virus Transmitted Through A Kiss

An Australian mum, Sarah Pugh, has told how her newborn baby died few days after they brought her home from a virus infection transmitted through a kiss.

According to 7News, a week after taking the newborn, Eloise, home, her mother noticed feeding problems and rushed her to the hospital where doctors confirmed she had contracted herpes simplex, the virus that causes cold sores. She developed a staph infection as a result of the virus and passed away in her mother’s arms days later.

Doctors believe the herpes virus was passed on by a visitor with a cold sore who gave the young child a kiss.

“We were pretty…I was pretty shocked that a cold sore had done this,” said Sarah Pugh.

Sarah says the community has been extremely supportive and she wants other people to be aware of what could happen.

“I possibly couldn’t let another family go through the heartache that we went through,” said Sarah.

Doctors say while it’s not uncommon for babies to develop a herpes infection, it’s rare that a baby will die.

“This is one of those many occasions where prevention really is the only cure,” said Obstetrician Dr Gino Pecoraro.

Dr Pecoraro says anyone with a cold sore should cover it with a band aid and refrain from kissing babies and young children.

It’s an unimaginable heartache for this family, but for now Sarah says she can’t dwell on the terrible outcome.

‘Just my other three kids. I can’t really… I’ve just got to stay strong for them,” said Sarah.

Sarah advices other parents by adding, “Be really careful and just make sure people don’t kiss them or touch them, and yeah just make sure you wash your hands continuously.”

17 Discussions on
“‘I Didn’t Know This Was Possible!’ – Mum Recounts How Newborn Baby Died From Virus Transmitted Through A Kiss”