A 16-year-old girl from Yemen who drank three cups of Chinese green tea per day for three months has reportedly contracted acute hepatitis. She initially complained of severe abdominal pains, nausea, dizziness and joint pains at a hospital, and thinking she had a urinary tract infection, her doctor sent her home with antibiotics.
Her condition got worse two day later and she went to the A&E department of Birmingham University Hospital where she was referred to the acute medical team. She was subsequently diagnosed of hepatitis, a swelling or inflammation of the liver caused by a virus, or exposing the liver to harmful substances.
Her diagnosis was nailed to the two boxes of Chinese green tea she ordered online, which she drank three cups per day for three months.
She said: “I had bought the green tea over the internet to lose weight. Most of the ingredients of the tea I bought were written in Chinese. I had only lost a couple of pounds but then started having horrible pains in my joints, and felt very dizzy and sick.”
Doctors who wrote in the journal BMJ Case Reports said the girl was ordered to stop drinking the tea immediately and there was a rapid and sustained recovery afterwards. They said it was possible that the addition of chemicals to the tea, perhaps to aid weight loss, or the use of pesticides on tea trees had contaminated tea.
“There is potential for pesticide-induced hepatitis to exist, especially from less regulated products ordered from developing countries over the internet,” they said.
The doctors added that infections developing as a result of excessive herbal tea drinking were a ‘rare but recurring theme,’ warning that though green tea is predominantly a very safe and healthy drink with antioxidant properties, the public should beware of possible dangers.
Tags: Green tea, Hepatitis, Hidden dangers of herbal teas
The Nigeria Medical Association has expressed deep concerns over the…
A study published in the BMJ journal reveals that approximately…
Experts have advised that anyone who has survived a serious…
Director-General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration…
Scientists said on Friday they have identified five genetic variants…
British health officials has warned that anyone with a history…
A new large-scale study has found that a person’s risk…
The UK has taken a major step by becoming the…
As the world marks the 2020 World AIDS Day amid…
Ehyaaa she probably got the wrong product.Anyway too much of everything is a no no
Ok ooooo. I saw someone advertising it yesterday in one of the post. I guess they should come read this.
am well informed now
am well informed now. Tanxs MIM for sharing
I know of someone who was rushed into the hospital after taking slimming herbs for few days.
One just need to be careful, I rather go on fruits and vegetables, exercise than all those short cut to losing weight.
haaa, nawa ooo, i pity for her…. thank god i have never taken any of this green tea
Na Wao! Am highly informed
That’s why lipton green tea is the best……
Thank God I read this article or u would have been a victim
Lord have mercy
Too much of everything is bad
Too much of everything is bad,and I would rather watch my diet and exercise than taking all these stuffs
Am very wary of all these Chinese supplements
I have known about this horrible stuff for some time now, am not even a fan.
tank God she dint die
Your email address will not be published.