Popular Nigerian beverage, hibiscus tea, commonly called ‘Zobo’ is a favourite across homes and tribes. Although many people enjoy the drink, not many know of its potential health benefits.
The health benefits include its ability to treat high blood pressure, high cholesterol, disturbed digestive and immune system, and inflammatory problems as well.
Find a list of benefits of this sour tea below;
1. It Lowers Blood Pressure:
One of the most impressive and well known benefits of Zobo drink is that it may lower blood pressure significantly. The regular herbal tea has been proven to lower blood pressure in pre-hypertensive and mildly hypertensive adults.
In a study of 75 subjects diagnosed with hypertension (and not taking any blood pressure-lowering medication at the time). The controlled group drank one large hibiscus tea before breakfast each day for 4 weeks.
The result was a reduction 11% and 12.5% in systolic and diastolic blood pressure, respectively.Those effects were equal to the active control group who were taking 50 mg of Captopril (a pharmaceutical drug) daily for the same time frame.
2. It Lowers Cholesterol:
Zobo drink can reduce body weight, thereby helping to protect against heart diseases and protecting blood vessels from damage.
The hypolipidemic and hypoglycemic properties of hibiscus tea can be beneficial for those who suffer from blood sugar disorders like diabetes.
3. Protects The Liver:
Zobo tea is rich in antioxidants, this property makes its role significant in purification of the body systems and the liver, being the organ responsible for detoxification in the body.
Antioxidants help to protect your body from diseases because they neutralize the free radicals present in body tissues and cells.
Therefore, we can confidently say that drinking Zobo tea could increase your lifespan by maintaining good overall health in many organ systems.
4. Anti-Cancer Properties:
Hibiscus tea contains hibiscus protocatechuic acid which has anti-tumor and antioxidant properties. A study conducted by the Department and Institute of Biochemistry at the Chung Shan Medical and Dental College, in Taichung, Taiwan suggests that hibiscus slows down the growth of cancerous cells by inducing apoptosis, commonly known as programmed cell death.
5. Anti-Inflammatory And Anti-Bacterial Properties:
Your regular Zobo tea is bursting with Vitamin C richness. Ascorbic acid , otherwise known as Vitamin C is an essential nutrient required by the body to boost and stimulate the activity of the immune system.
Hibiscus tea is also known for its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Therefore, it prevents you from catching the cold and flu. Hibiscus tea is also used to treat discomfort caused by fever, due to its cooling effect.
6. Relieves Menstrual Pain:
The health benefits of hibiscus tea also include relief from cramps and menstrual pain. It helps in restoring hormone balance as well, and can act as an anti-depressant, including lowering other symptoms of menstruation like mood swings, depression, and overeating.
7. Aids Digestion:
Because of the diuretic properties of the sour tea, it is used to treat constipation. Essentially, your Zobo drink aids digestion by increasing both urination and bowel movement, which helps you lose weight and improve the health of your gastrointestinal system and avoid colorectal cancer.
There goes at least 7 health benefits you can derive just drinking your hibiscus tea, but are there any restraints? absolutely yes!
Zobo or hibiscus tea with its overwhelming benefits should be consumed with care by the following people:
- People who already have low blood pressure should avoid this tea because of its anti-hypertensive property, which may further lower their blood pressure and put them at risk of fainting, dizziness, or even damage the heart or brain.
- Hibiscus/Zobo tea is not recommended for pregnant women because of its significant ability to stimulate blood flow in the uterus or pelvic region.
- Women undergoing hormonal treatment or taking birth control pills are recommended to seek a go ahead from their doctor regarding any consumption of Zobo tea.
- Zobo drink can induce hallucinatory effects and cause you to be light-headed, therefore you should observe your body’s reaction. Do not drive a car or handle dangerous machines until you are sure how your body reacts to the tea.
- Some people might develop allergic reactions such as itchy red eyes, sinus, or hay fever when consuming hibiscus tea.