The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board, JAMB has set minimum cut-off mark for universities and polytechnics across the country in the 2020 admission session.
JAMB’s registrar Ishaq Oloyede made the announcement on Tuesday June 16, after the 20th policy meeting on admissions to tertiary institutions. The minimum cut-off mark for universities is 160, polytechnics was pegged at 120, while that of Colleges of Education remains at 100 and above.
Commenting on the admission statistics for 2019, Oloyede said that 612,557 candidates were offered admission but 510,957 admission spaces remained unused by the institutions. He added that only 1,157,977 candidates who had the required five credits with English and Mathematics, sat for its Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) last year.
On his part, Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu said he has directed JAMB and tertiary institutions to proceed with the conduct of their 2020/2021 admissions which will commence in August.
The minister said:
“As major stakeholders, we must jointly come up with reactions that would realign our programmes to these new realities.
“JAMB and tertiary institutions could take advantage of the current situation, consider candidates with previous years SSCE and other qualifying results, to proceed on with the admission process.
“Whatever arrangement that the country comes up with in the long run will surely accommodate those who will be taking the examination when the opportunity to do so is worked out.”