Following widespread condemnation that it played a role in the attack on #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Tollgate on Tuesday evening, Seyi Tinubu, the son of All Progressives Congress leader, Bola Tinubu has revealed why his company decided to switch off billboards before soldiers started shooting at protesters, killing 78 protesters (according to unconfirmed sources) and leaving many injured.
Seyi who is the owner of Loatsad Promomedia Limited, the company in charge of all the billboards in Lekki disclosed that they shut down their billboard at the Lekki Toll gate based on an order by the state governor, Babajide Sanwo-olu.
Nigerians had been outraged over the decision to turn off the billboard, which they claimed was part of the plot to attack protesters at the Lekki toll gate.
Eyewitnesses also claimed soldiers opened fire on #EndSARS protesters after the billboard was turned off on Tuesday evening.
But Loatsad Promomedia, in a statement on its Instagram handle, said it had no ulterior motive for the action.
The company said it believed in the #EndSARS movement, adding that it was the start of the change needed to move the country forward.
The statement read in full:
“When we started in 2014, we had a plan to change the perception of African start-ups in the global space. We believed as Africans, we could create something great and we set out with a N4m loan from a bank and we started trading, going from door to door begging for work and relentlessly grew the business employing and empowering over 200 Nigerians today directly or indirectly.
We have supported many upcoming businesses, artists, people in need as giving back to our community has always been our passion (all this can be verified).
All of our achievements thus far have come the from hard work, sweat and determination of our work force and everything Loatsad has been doing has been open, all taxes are remitted and payments to agencies and regulatory bodies have been timely, so we can be proud to say we are contributing the growth of the industry and Nation.
When the “EndSars” and “say no to police brutality” protests started from day one we wholly supported the movement and used all our platforms to promote the messages (I believe the promoters can verify this information) as we believed in the cause.
On Tuesday when the curfew was announced we heeded the governors warnings and didn’t want our staff in any danger, hence by 3pm our staff had been ordered to leave the site and the board was switched off based on the governors curfew request.
We had no idea what was going to happen and we feel the same anguish, pain and shock at the events that unfolded and our hearts and prayers go out to the victims and families of this ungodly act.
We believe in this movement and that it was the start of the change our generation needed to move our country forward and we will continue to support the youths of this great nation.”