Now Reading
Lekki Massacre: Nigerian Man, Ayoola Gives Chilling Account Of How He Survived Gunfire Attack At The Tollgate (Video)

Lekki Massacre: Nigerian Man, Ayoola Gives Chilling Account Of How He Survived Gunfire Attack At The Tollgate (Video)

A Nigerian man who narrowly escaped being killed during the Lekki shooting has shared the chilling story of how he survived Tuesday night, October 20, attack at the tollgate.

The man who gave his name as Ayoola said he is a professional swimmer adding that when the armed men who he described as soldiers started shooting at the peaceful protesters, he jumped into the river and that the alleged soldier pursued him into the river and continued firing shots.

Ayoola further narrated that he would have been dead if he wasn’t a good swimmer.

Recall that men dressed in military gear opened fire on unarmed protesters at the Lekki toll gate around 7pm on Tuesday, leaving many dead, injured and hospitalised.

The lights and security cameras were turned off before the shootings began.

‚ÄúMembers of the Nigerian army pulled up on us and they started firing. They were shooting, they were firing straight at us and a lot of people got hit. I just barely survived,‚ÄĚ

says Akinbosola Ogunsanya, who was at the scene of the incident.

READ ALSO: Lekki Massacre: ‚ÄėForces beyond my control shot at protesters‚Äô -Governor Babjide Sanwo-olu

The peaceful protesters have been calling for an end to police brutality since October 4; and had blocked the Lekki-Epe toll gate, Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge and other major roads in Lagos, while staging sit-in, candle-lit processions for victims of police brutality.

The protests had turned violent and fatal in Lagos and across the country, however, with hoodlums hijacking the marches and burning down police stations for effect.

See Also

Sanwo-Olu announced a 24-hour curfew at noon of October 20 in a bid to curtail the violence and halt the anarchy.

The governor initially announced that the curfew will commence at 4pm. This was later moved to 9pm hours later.

The men in military gear opened fire on the unarmed protesters two hours before the curfew was billed to kick off. So many have been reported dead and injured.

Watch as Ayoola tells his experience below:

Copyright © 2021 Motherhood In-Style Magazine. All Rights Reserved.