Now Reading
#EndSARS Protest: More Victims Of Lekki Tollgate Shooting Relay Sad Stories Of The Horrifying Incident

#EndSARS Protest: More Victims Of Lekki Tollgate Shooting Relay Sad Stories Of The Horrifying Incident

More victims of the October 20 Lekki shooting incident have come out to share sad stories of losing loved ones and barely surviving the horrifying incident.

This comes as Nigerians await the outcome of the investigation from the Lagos state Judicial Panel on Restitution for Victims of SARS related abuses.

In an interview with AriseTV, the victims and family members relayed their heart-wrenching stories.


One of them, Edwin Augustine, who still has a bullet in his body, recounted how he went for the protest on that fateful day and was allegedly shot at by the military men who stormed the tollgate where the unarmed protesters were gathered. He said he went to the tollgate with his friend.

READ ALSO: Lekki Shootings: Nigerian Army Finally Admits Its Role, Expresses Disappointment That Lagos Governor Sanwo-Olu Denied Inviting Them

”I was at the snooker board that night but I don’t know how to play snooker. I was standing with him while he was playing. I was like let me go and check my phone that was charging. The lights went off and we were like what is wrong?

The next thing I heard was shooting everywhere. The guy that was leading me to the charging point was shot at the side. I received my own on my thigh. Right now the bullet is still inside of me. It has not yet been removed.

The next day I woke up and saw myself at Ikeja General Hospital. The bullet in me is giving me discomfort and affecting my leg, making it swell everyday. Sometimes my leg gets stiff.

Sometimes I wonder why the government is saying they didn’t shoot at us while I am still having the bullet in my body.”


Mr Tunde Odeyemi, the father of another victim, recounted how he met his son in the hospital after the shooting.

”I met him lying down, being treated by the corner of the hospital. He couldn’t talk to me, he couldn’t open his eyes. I was surprised to see him in that position.

I had to try and see the doctor so he can be transferred to Ikeja. They wrote a letter that he should be transferred that night but they said there was no ambulance. It was the next day in the night that they brought us to the emergency ward in Ikeja .

That very day, they asked us to go do an X-Ray of the brain. When the doctor studied it, he noticed that that there was blood at the front and back of the brain and he said that is why he (the son) cannot say anything now and that when they start giving him drugs, the blood will vanish.

It was about 5 days later that he started talking. He did not get himself well until when they discharged us from the hospital.”

READ ALSO: #EndSARS: Nigerians Doubt Justice Will Be Served As LCC Tells Inquiry Panel That CCTV Stopped Working The Night Of The Shootings

See Also

Mr. Adeyemi said his son was discharged and asked to come back in January to collect a date for further checkup. He said he took him to his house and has since employed the service of a nurse who caters for him at home.


Olufunmi Aiyedungbe who was also interviewed spoke about her brother, Aiyedungbe Gabriel Ayoola, who she says died during the protest. A tearful Olufunmi said her deceased brother was shot in the head.

”I am speaking on behalf of my brother Aiyedungbe Gabriel Ayoola. He was shot in the head. We were actually looking for him because he doesn’t stay with us so it was like two days before he passed on that somebody sent this (a message) to me on WhatsApp.

They wrote it there that he is at LASUTH and that they are looking for his family. So we went to LASUTH, They said he was unconcious for like two weeks. By the time we got there, he had opened his eyes and he was moving his hands but he couldn’t talk.

READ ALSO: “My family doesn’t know I’m alive.” Survivor Of Lekki Toll Gate Massacre Share His Experience

They were feeding him through his nose. There was sore all over his body because they did not turn him for a long time. I think he did not get medical attention. That was what led to his death eventually.”


Copyright © 2021 Motherhood In-Style Magazine. All Rights Reserved.